Friday, September 21, 2012

MOVIE MOVIE WEEKEND

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

I haven't seen any movies that are new to DVD, but I watched two somewhat older movies that might interest you.

The first is called Heavenly Creatures (1994), but I'm afraid the creatures are not heavenly at all. Directed by Peter Jackson of later Hobbit fame, Heavenly Creatures is said to follow very closely the facts of a 1954 murder case in New Zealand.

Starring Melanie Lynskey as Pauline Parker and Kate Winslet as Juliet Hulme (both actresses made their film debuts in this movie), Heavenly Creatures leads us through events as  Parker and Hulme develop an intense, obsessive friendship as 15 year olds. When the girls learn they will be separated, they create a hideous scheme that they hope will allow them to stay together. Instead, they never see each other again.

Jackson brilliantly juxtaposes scenes of the laughing girls imagining their fantasy world, complete with unicorns, and accompanied by the happy songs of the girls' hero Mario Lanza, with Parker's actual diary entries as she happily plans a murder.

As a well-made film, I give Heavenly Creatures The Janie Junebug Seal of Approval, but the seal comes with another seal -- The Janie Junebug Watch Out Because This Movie Scared Me Half to Death Seal. I had a hideous nightmare after watching this movie. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. If you can watch it and simply appreciate it as a well-made movie, then good for you. I couldn't do that. I don't ever want to see this movie again because I don't like nightmares.

Second on our plate today is Tortilla Soup, a delightful romantic comedy that shouldn't frighten anyone. From 2001, Tortilla Soup stars Hector Elizondo as a Mexican-American chef named Martin who has raised three daughters on his own following the death of his wife.
Martin has retired, but he continues to prepare traditional feasts for his adult daughters, all of whom continue to live at home with Papa. I must say the food in this movie is gorgeous. It's practically, no, it IS a character in its own right.

Although Martin has difficulty dealing with the changes in his daughters during the course of the movie, he does not lose his zest for life. Thus, we have a happy ending, which is exactly what I like. No nightmares with this movie. It has The (wholehearted) Janie Junebug Seal of Approval.

Tortilla Soup is the kind of movie that helps you forget your troubles, and that's exactly what I wish for you -- a trouble-free weekend with plenty of time to relax.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

15 comments:

  1. Heavenly Creatures sounds way to scary for me! What a deceiving title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In one of Pauline Parker's diary entries she refers to herself and Juliet as heavenly creatures. They had quite a grandiose vision of themselves and believed they could go to Hollywood to write movies and star in them.

      Delete
  2. I haven't--& probably won't--see the first movie but I saw Tortilla Soup" when it came out & I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review, I'm sure to pass on the Heavenly Creatures one, but the soup thingy sounds pretty good. I haven't had too much time to watch much on tv or anywhere else for that matter, hopefully things will calm down a bit soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers never get a break. There are always lesson plans to prepare and papers to grade.

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard of either of them. Both sound intriguing, though! I think I might try to find Tortilla Soup for this weekend, because I'm in the mood for a little escapism :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Escapism is good. Hope you're having a nice weekend.

      Delete
  5. I have not seen either one of these although I have heard a lot about the second one. Hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heavenly Creatures was so strange! I haven't seen the other one, but it sounds worth watching. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Heavenly Creatures is appropriately strange, Rita, because it's about such a strange situation.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for warning me about Heavenly Creatures, if I decide to watch it, I'll sleep with the bed sheets over my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might end up hiding under the bed if you watch that movie and have the kind of nightmare I had.

      Delete
  8. Dear Janie, the first movie--No, I like to sleep soundly--the second movie--Yes, if the library has a copy. Once again thank you for finding for me movies that I'll enjoy! Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.