Wednesday, September 19, 2012

THREE DAVES

NICKI ELSON! NICKI ELSON! NICKI ELSON! and Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Nicki Elson, who is much loved in this house -- as you may have guessed from my salutation -- blogs at Nicki Elson's Not So-Deep Thoughts. She's also the author of a great novel called Three Daves.

With Three Daves, Nicki exposes her readers to college life in Illinois during the mid 80s, by introducing them to the star of Nicki's show, Jen, who comes of age very much aware of popular music and other bits and pieces of information that are interesting whether you were young during the 80s or not. Jen is also painfully aware of all the sexual activity going on around her, and the fact that she's not participating. Her vision of growing up includes sex, yet she wants to wait for the right man:

Jennifer Whitney was the last American virgin. At least that's what she felt like in 1986 as she began her sophomore year at Central Illinois University. She was proud of her decision to wait for the right guy, and yet she was getting restless. It seemed like everyone around her was doing the nasty and having fun doing it. How long was she going to have to wait? Perhaps it was time to stop relying on fate to guide her, and instead take matters into her own hands. She didn't want to become a campus slut or anything but surely there was a difference between a trashy skank and a nice girl with a little experience.

As Jen completes college, she dates David, Dave, and Big D -- but not all at the same time. Three Daves is very humorous and Nicki's writing is polished and intelligent. I love the way she concludes each chapter with a Bible verse. And now I finally understand what Nicki's blog readers are referring to when they mention certain pages in Three Daves. This book has some delightfully naughty PG-13 sections.

Jen's experiences are especially fun for me and quite a revelation because I missed the 80s. Favorite Young Man was born in 1980, and The Hurricane arrived in 1986. Those of you who have children will understand what I mean when I say that decade is foggy in my memory.

The one 80s cultural experience that I'll admit to having is big hair. Oh, yeah. It poofed out and up. My hair is under control now, and Nicki's fine writing is under control. I hope she'll grace us with a second novel soon.

You can purchase Three Daves at amazon and you can get to the right spot by clicking on the link I've provided, or you can visit Nicki's blog and click on the Three Daves book cover, or when you're browsing at amazon, simply enter the title and gorgeous amazons will find the book for you. They'll even sell it to you and ship it.

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug


30 comments:

  1. I love the cover! Those shoes are damn sexy!! And the nice girl socks are a great touch!! I also love the 80's!! This sounds like a really cute read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing that you can put a high heel on a baby-pink shoe and it looks adorable and sexy at the same time? Thanks for reading. It sounds as if this book is right up your alley.

      Delete
  2. I'm curious to know more about the three Daves - I guess that requires buying the book. It's on my to be read list.

    I do like the shoes and the socks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you would enjoy this book, Peaches, especially since it's a coming of age story like your own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL- Yeah, kids WILL do that to ya...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to figure out everything that happened during that decade. My brain was fried.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Janie Skanky Junebug, I LOVE this review. :) And here I already thought you were the sweetest in the whole wide world just for reading it. Now you're the...something that's even much better than the sweetest in the whole wide world. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm going to go tweet this now so that everyone can read the wonderful things you said about me.

    The compliments on my writing are especially treasured coming from talented you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now I love you even more. No one has ever called me Janie Skanky Junebug. That's the best name ever. And you're welcome.

      Delete
  6. Oh! And guess what - I DO have new book coming out! Should be released early next year (is in editing right now). This one's called Four Elvises and will explore the late '50s...orrrr will be set modern day and have an angel in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four Elvises? Is one named Elvis Aaron Schwarz and will he take me out again?

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It is fun, Elisa. Whether we're going to college or we're homeless in Hawaii, we're all searching for love.

      Delete
  8. I was in college in the 80's. I'm sure I'm going to love this book. Thanks for introducing me to her blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Stephanola. Nickie is a sweetheart.

      Delete
  9. Janie
    I missed the 80's too, but for entirely different reasons.

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting. I might have to give it a look, being a child of the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be young. I was a child of the, uh, an earlier time.

      Delete
  11. Looks like a fun book.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Janie, you are so gracious and generous to those of us who are being published and need to get the word out there. I'll never forget your comments on "Twelve Habits," now reissued as "A Cat's Legacy: Dulcy's Story." Thank you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll never forget how beautiful your books are. You and Dulcy are quite a pair.

      Delete
  13. Sounds good, but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to relate to it. College life in the '60s was quite a bit different than it was in the '80s. Then again, I don't reckon the search for love changed much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure college life was very different back when there was no electricity or running water; that is, during the 60s. I'm not in college and the search for love continues.

      Delete
  14. hahaha I had the big 80's hair too! Awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd like to see you with big hair, Melynda.

      Delete
  15. Was I the only one in the 80's who didn't have big hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. Most people had hair bigger than mine.

      Delete
  16. I had HUGE hair in the 80's... and a 24 inch waist. And I'd do that to my hair again if I could have my waist back as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.