Friday, December 14, 2012

MOVIE WEEKEND

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

I have a good one for you this week: Hope Springs (2012 and recently released on DVD).

Kay (Meryl Streep) and Arnold (Tommy Lee Jones) have been married for a little more than 30 years. Kay and Arnold don't sleep in the same bed. Hell, they don't even sleep in the same room.

Kay is lonely. She wants a real marriage, instead of feeling she's married to golf, or ESPN. So Kay books a week of marriage renewal therapy in Maine with Dr. Feld (Steve Carell).

Oh, I can hear you right now. You're thinking that if Steve Carell is involved then the movie is silly, but I promise you it's not. Steve Carell has what it takes to play this part.

But more important than anything Steve Carell does, is that Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones are at their best in this movie -- not that I think I've ever seen them do anything poorly.

Arnold grumps and complains about going to Maine, about seeing a therapist, about spending money, about (though he probably doesn't realize it) leaving his comfort zone. Kay is quieter, less sure of herself, and feeling rejected.

Never have I seen a movie do such a fine job of capturing the loneliness that can occur in a marriage -- the feeling that you'd be less alone if you didn't live with your spouse.

I also want to thank Meryl Streep for being Meryl Streep. She inhabits every role she plays. She's not as skinny as a stick and she doesn't have her face so botoxed that her eyebrows meet her hairline. Meryl Streep is a real person -- open and giving, even when her character seems a bit shy and reluctant to complain that she doesn't want a hot water heater for a present.

Kay and Arnold leave Maine without resolving their issues. I'm not going to tell you if they stay together or decide to divorce, if the ending is happy or sad. I will tell you I cried tears of joy mixed with tears of sadness and longing.

Hope Springs has The Janie Junebug Highest Seal of Approval.

Dee and Rita, I think you will like this movie.

Happy watching and happy weekend, everyone! It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

P.S. Recently Elvis Aaron Schwarz said he needed to ask me some serious questions about my blog. Who is this Maxwell? he wanted to know.

Maxwell, I told him, is my lover who comes to me in the still of the night when the moon is full . . . and he lets me put my cold feet on him wherever I want. When Maxwell departs, my feet -- and the rest of me -- are sooooo warm.

Take that, Elvis Aaron Schwarz! My man must keep my feet warm!

19 comments:

  1. Hi Janie .. I think I missed this - so will need the DVD .. anon - does sound fun though - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to see that movie because I love both Tommy Lee and Maryl Streep. When it first came out, I thought it would do my husband a lot of good, since he never wanted to go see a therapist, I guess I was too late. I don't know if I will see it now though, my life has already had a bad ending, at least for right now, I don't think I could take another one. Tell Elvis Aaron Schwartz that the warm bird catches the worm....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I'll tell you a secret about this movie (spoiler alert): It has a happy ending for the characters, yet it made me feel kind of sad because my marriage didn't have a happy ending.

      Delete
  3. My husband & I saw this movie together--we both loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My opinion confirmed by two intelligent people. That makes me feel good.

      Delete
  4. I'll make a note of that movie, Janie.

    Tell Elvis that Maxwell is not a threat.

    Cheers,

    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Elvis about Maxwell. It's a convoluted story, but I think he understands now that Maxwell is not interested in stealing me away.

      Delete
  5. This definitely sounds like my kinda movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meryl Streep is my favorite female actress. I'm sure I'd enjoy this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meryl was nominated for a Golden Globe for Hope Springs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed it when it first came out, but am eagerly ait in cable. I love both TLJ and MS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do want to see this movie; not sure I'll be able to get hubby to want to see it with me (he's into the action/science fiction themes) so might have to catch it some time when he is not around.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haven't seen this one, but it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I may check this one out. I'm in the mood for a good "grown up" movie. Currently we are all watching Santa Claus is Coming To town...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both those actors. I'd like to see that one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just watched this about a week ago! I LOVED IT! Because it is just so real. The people are flawed and layered. They were all fabulous! Steve Carell just plays a straight therapist role, too--and does it well. Not your typical Hollywood movie. Seemed more like an independent film--maybe it was, I don't remember, but I doubt it with such big names in it. Yes, I really loved this movie!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds like a great movie. I will put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll have to find it. (even though I never liked Meryl since Kramer vs Kramer). (one other person that I think is living it is Diane Keaton).

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.