Thursday, December 10, 2015

DOCUMENTARY WEEKEND: AMY

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Today I present for your consideration a tragic and beautiful look at the life of Amy (2015, Rated R, Available on DVD).


I'd heard of Amy Winehouse. I knew she was a successful singer who died young. That was pretty much it. Thank God Sam, the caretaker of my golden tresses, introduced me to Amy's amazing, soulful voice.

Now we have a documentary that uses footage of Amy, her family, friends, and demons, so we can see for ourselves at least a bit of who she was.

Huge success. Heroin. Alcohol. Bulimia. Cutting. Clean. More huge success. Back to old habits. Dies of alcohol poisoning.

She's so beautiful she breaks my heart in two and stomps all over it.

I'm sad that life was too much for her. I'm angry that more than one celebrity belittled and joked about her on television. Jay Leno. George Lopez. Graham Norton. You people think you're funny making "jokes" about someone with a drug problem who's bulimic? Fuck you all.

A man would have your sympathy, but if it's a woman in trouble, then she's nothing but a mess.

Amy has The Janie Junebug Most Unusual And Especially Superior Seal of Approval. Amy has it, too.

This documentary is not for children. I would strongly consider watching it with teens, as long as you can use it to show them that she was a real person with real talent and real problems and that some people took advantage of her.

I watched Amy on a DVD from Netflix.

Sing for us, please, Amy.


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug







16 comments:

  1. Hi Janie - I saw this movie a few months ago ... and thought it was incredibly moving .. and taught me a few things about drugs, fathers, life under someone's thumb, fame, alcohol.

    It's not an easy film to watch - her music is extraordinary - but such a great loss to the world of musical talent.

    Definitely unusual - but so well worth watching and appreciating.

    Sad, so sad ... thanks so much for posting the review ..cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her flame burned too bright. Others were determined to take advantage of her or put out the flame.

      Delete
  2. If you're not a fan of Amy's music, is it still compelling? I mean, obviously it's about way more than her music, but sometimes documentaries can lean on connecting the audience with the subject via the subject's talent. Does that make sense? Like, though it wasn't a doc, the movie Ray would have been a tough sit if you didn't like Ray Charles's music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would still be compelling because it's about a young woman who experiences sudden fame, has difficulty dealing with it, and is mistreated by many people, including her father. Example: She got clean. Her dad said she should go on a "little" tour. She didn't want to go. She was taken to the airport "asleep" a.k.a. unconscious. Falls apart. Starts drinking heavily. Booed off the stage. It's quite a story, and it's all told with archival footage, home movies, TV and concert appearances.

      Delete
  3. A great talent and a tragic story. I'm a fan of hers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She had a unique voice, but good music. It's good that people will get to see a human side to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. She wasn't the joke some people made her out to be. She was happy and sad, but the sad took over when she was treated badly.

      Delete
  5. I know nothing about her singing and only know about her well-publicized trouble with drugs. Such a shame she couldn't get a handle on them so the world world have the joy of her singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did get a handle on them. She was clean and then forced to go on a tour. She didn't want to go and drank to escape. It was the death of her. Her father does not like this documentary.

      Delete
  6. So many talented children are abused, used and destroyed by their parents.
    She really had a great voice. So bad that all her father could see was money.
    So very sad.
    Lindsay Lohan is another one. Not as talented but we here in America could watch her parents fighting over her then her mother is/was riding on her coattails. Enjoying her fame.
    What a huge mess.

    I like your reviews.
    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You're very kind. It upsets me tremendously that Amy Winehouse's father owns the copyrights to her music.

      Delete
  7. I know vaguely about as much about her as you did. I don't think I ever heard one song of hers...till your blog. I had no plans to watch this documentary, but now maybe I will. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a good documentary, though rather sad. I hear her music every time Sam takes care of my hair.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoy your documentary and DVD post recommendations. I watched Mad Men based on your recommendation and I'll be watching Amy as well.

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.