Thursday, December 15, 2016

MOVIE WEEKEND: WAR DOGS

Gentle Readers . . . and Maxwell,

Not a Christmas movie to watch with the kids: I hope you enjoy War Dogs (2016, Rated R, Recently Released On DVD).


Based on a true story––and I don't know how true it is, but "true stories" usually bear a vague resemblance to the truth––two childhood friends encounter each other at a funeral after years apart. Efraim Diveroli (Jonah Hill) has started a small business to bid on military contracts. He claims it's going well and invites old pal David Packouz (Miles Teller) to work with him.

Antics ensue.

David Packouz: [Narrating] They called guys like us war dogs. Bottom feeders who make money off of war without ever stepping foot on the battlefield. It was supposed to be derogatory, but... we kind of liked it.

I like this movie. It's funny in a uniquely weird way. Probably not everyone's cup of tea. At first, Efraim's freakish laugh made me want to punch the TV and grab him by the throat. Then I decided it was a good tag for his nut-job character.

A couple of days ago, Jonah Hill earned a surprising Golden Globe nomination for Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture -- Musical or Comedy. He's not going to win, but the nomination demonstrates that I'm not the only person who thinks the acting in this movie is good.

I've been a Miles Teller fan since Whiplash, and Bradley Cooper shows up as an excellent hard-assed bad guy. I loves me some Bradley Cooper.

DirecTV On Demand offered me a free movie. I chose War Dogs, and I'm glad I did. I had it in my Netflix queue anyway and was looking forward to it.

War Dogs earns The Janie Junebug Highest Seal of Weird Dark Comedy Approval.

Efraim Diveroli: Jordanian customs seized our Berettas.
David Packouz: What? Why?
Efraim Diveroli: I don't fucking know, David! I dropped out of high school before they covered international diplomacy!


Infinities of love,

Janie Junebug

6 comments:

  1. I managed to miss this one, but I've heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not one I would have put in my queue, but I'll try it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my doubts about whether you'll like it. Although we're usually in agreement, I think my sense of humor is a bit stranger than yours.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like an interesting movie. I like Jonah Hill and I LOVE Bradley Cooper! Especially if he's playing a hardass...

    Thanks for recommending this. I like the title too...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete

Got your panties in a bunch? Dig 'em out, get comfortable, and let's chat.